Friday, November 6, 2009

It only happens a few times a year:

Well it is official, yesterday just wore me out! It wore me down so much I was in bed by 10pm, which is unheard of for me. It isn't as if I didn't know if was comming. I got a notice a few weeks ago and I very dutiful made my appointments...1...2...3...4...5. Yep five of them and then I began the worry and the anxiety. 15 minutes each, what why so long that seems like forever.

I knew it was comming but even still I tried to push it to the back of my mind. Everytime it would come up I would just change the subject in my mind and move on. Time is not always kind though and both the good things as well as the bad come upon us oh so quickly. Then suddenly it was here;

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

yesterday was just another ordinary day and in the morning I had forgotten what day it was and then suddenly I realized! D'oh...now the feeling of dread is back and in full swing. A nice birthday treat at work yesterday make things all better for a short time. Home made big ole chocolate fudge brownies...yum.


Oh ok back to the task at hand. I finished up work at my desk thinking this day went entirely to fast. I went home and made dinner for the family then I grabbed my keys and said my good-byes. Dread filling me up every mile that I get closer and closer to the big brick building. Dread as I enter though the big doors and walk down the familiar halls that I once walked day in and day out for four years. Step by anxious step. What will be said, what will I say back...the silence in the halls...looking at old photographs that still line the walls.

Then I am there and it starts:

Me: Hi, I am Savannah's mom.
Her: Oh so nice to meet you.
Me: You too.
Her: Savannah is such a nice girl. Such a pleasure to have in class. She participates and seems very smart. We are reading "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Me: Yes she has been reading
Her: She woudl be doing better in class if she turned in her homework. She is missing quite a few assignments. If she would turn in her homework her test scores would be better...
Me: Yes I saw that, I will make sure she is getting that done.

So the story continues and the same thing in each class. Ahh...big sigh of releif. It wasnt' so bad not like that one time way back when. I leave to go back home happy that all of her teachers can see what I see in her...lots of potential.

As I walk in the door I hear giggling from my two youngest girls.

Her: How did it go?
Me: Good, good, your teachers are all very nice. We need to work on that homework. It really must be turned in every day. Other than that the conferences went well.
Her: Ok...smiling as if she didn't know she wans't turning it in and then more questions.
Me: Telling her of all the details...with love in my heart and a smile on my lips.

Feeling good that it is all over...until next time.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your writing style in this. It really evoked that feeling that I used to have at parents evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely written blog Amy...I enjoyed reading it and it felt as I was taking each step with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope my parents don't feel like this at Open House (I'm guessing that's where you went). I truly believed you were going to a dreadful place, not school *gasp*. What grade is your dd in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I should clarify for all of you fabulous teachers out there. I only dread this dd's school confrences. When she was little she had a teacher that...er...not a good match with her personality. When I went in for conf. she had not even ONE nice thing to say about my adorable little girl. Now I have a complex...she can be a little high maintence but now that she is a freshman she has matured and is a wonderful addition to any classroom but I just always worry. :)

    ReplyDelete