Friday, January 15, 2010

Testing her wings...

Most people woke up this morning so happy that is was Friday but not me. I woke up feeling a little sad, actually a lot sad. Today my baby is moving out, leaving the nest, flying the coop...today she is learning to fly.
When I woke up I thought about all the different stages first she learned to crawl, to walk, and then to run. She learned to talk to sing I tried to teach her to dance but she would have none of that!  She played sports she bowled she joined the youth group. She rode a big wheel, a scooter, a bicycle with training wheels...then the training wheels came off. Had her first crush, her first date, her first heartache. Learned to drive bought her first car, then her second...now she is on her third. LOL. She learned to color her nails, her face, and coordinate all her clothes. She went to her first dance. She was a daisy, a brownie and then a girl scout.
I made her try new things when she didn't want to, I made her try new foods, I relented and let her stop doing the things that she didn't like. When I first had her I was so scared to be doing it all on my own. I wobbled a few times but just like her as she learned all these things I think I got it right. I think she turned out  just as she was suppose to...my beautiful Dani Bell.

Now the real test starts did I teach her all the right things? Will she make all most of the right choices? Will she succeed?

I think yes. She has always been a bright cautious girl. She can be a little impulsive as young people are but she thinks things through and is not afraid to try new things or to change her mind. She knows who she is and what she wants. She knows how to work hard and to speek her mind. She knows how to stand up for herself and despite her small size she is incredibly strong. She is funny. She is beautiful. She is smart. She is anything she dreams of. She simply is...

5 comments:

  1. Amy,

    What a wonderful sentiment. It's hard being a good mothe rand raising daughters. My Tori just turned 18 and I cried for 48 hours. I just don't know how to let her be on her own yet, even though I still have time...

    Congrats on raising a wonderful daughter and letting her be who she is. THAT'S where the hard work starts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    It's a frightening and yet amazing time - watching our daughters bloom into women. Have faith - you've done the right things and she is good! We need to rejoice that she has taken this next "first step" just as there was rejoicing when she began to walk.

    (I have a 24 year old daughter. She's my only and I'm a single Mom - I get it.)

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious, precious post. She will succeed of that I am sure...yes she will make her mistakes, but she was brought up with wisdom and she will learn and grow stronger with each mistake...and she will spread her wings and soar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy, I hope you can feel the hug I'm sending your way. Dani is an amazing young woman and she is ready to soar because you've nutured her along the way... because you're an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,
    You did a wonderful job with Dani I'm

    very proud of you both!!!!!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete