Monday, July 2, 2012

Stars...stars...and more stars

Last year I saw a wreath with all stars on pinterest for Christmas and I decided I needed to make one for the 4th of July. Well guess what...I never got any farther than making a few stars and gluing the stars down to the wreath. When I moved I saw it mocking me and I thought to myself maybe I will finish it. That was that. Well then my daughter mocked me and I knew I just needed to finish what I started over a year ago even if we only get to enjoy it on our door for two days. 



If you want to make on for yourself I will show you how. First I took a chipboard circle from CTMH and cut out these blue stars to adhere the stars on. In the original 


I decided that I didn't like the way it looked with the stars I had done so I added some more paper rosettes  and I thought the super hero paper from CTMH would be perfect! Well that paper was perfect and I love how the rosettes turned out. When making rosettes you want to take a strip of paper that is 1 3/4" x 12" and then score it every 1/4" then fold it back and forth.


Then they will look more like this.


Glue the ends with adhesive and they look sort of like little cups.


Push the center down and add some very strong adhesive. I used a glue gun. It also helps if you hold it together with a circle. It just makes it stronger. I do this to both sides.


Now I was ready to stick everything down to my wreath...but...I am a stickler for colors and making sure they match. Well guess what my original stars didn't match. I tried to pretend they did but in the end I knew it would but me every time I hung up my wreath so I decided to make some more stars. This is actually good for you as now you can see how I made the stars as I didn't have photos from the ones I made a year ago.


I cut out my stars with my Art Philosophy cartridge on my Cricut. Once you have your stars you will want to score each on from tip to inside tip. Once you do that on each one you fold the stars up so they look like this.


Once I did that I just layered the rosettes and the stars. I also added some little spirals, buttons and bling. I stuck everything down with a glue gun and love the way it turned out. 


I hope you enjoyed the project and if you start one please know that it only took a few hours to complete so it really shouldn't take you a whole year to make it. 


I finally have great timing on a seasonal project and am super excited to have just made this project only to find out that I can share it over at Exploring Cricut and over at Heart2Heart. I hope you can also play along at one or the other...or even better BOTH!


Supplies
Cardstock -  Blue for the base that I had on hand. Cranberry - CTMH
Pattern Paper - Superhereo
Other - Art Philosophy Cartridge, Bling, random buttons


19 comments:

  1. Ohhhh my goodness!!! This is beautiful!! I so love the rosettes and those great stars!!! This is just awesome! Thank you so very much for joining our challenge at Exploring Cricut!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how it turned out! Great idea to make the stars 3D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy! This turned out so nice! You did a wonderful job and have inspired me to try working on seasonal wreaths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...your wreath is beautiful, all that delay made it worth while I'm sure..so lovely..thanks for sharing how to make stars dimensional..I'm going to practice and learn..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your wreath and your directions were so easy! Thanks for entering it in our challenge at Exploring Cricut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness this is fabulous! Thanks for playing with us at Paper Playtime! :) Janis P.S. I'd love it if you'd pop over to my other challenge blog, Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges,
    http://pausedreamenjoychallenges.blogspot.com/
    and play this week. The challenge is to make a project for someone who's left footprints on your life. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you finished it:) You did a great job! Thanks for joining us at Exploring Cricut:)

    Annette
    mymindsdustbunnies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous wreath!!! I love it so much. Thanks for sharing it and your great tutorial with us at H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing final result to your year-long project! (sometimes the best ideas just need time to germinate...). Thanks for including the tutorial with illustrations, very helpful! And your posting just in time for Independence Day is perfect. Thanks for joining the Heart2Heart Patriotic challenge. I'm thinking you could adapt this for a beach-themed wreath, sand-dollars and starfish...great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....this is amazing. What a beautiful wreath to be able to hang on your door year after year and to say you made it. Thanks for joining us at Paper Playtime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the great tutorial and the most amazing wreath! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally love it! Thanks for the step by step! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Thank you for showing how to make the rosetts! I had a hard time trying to figure out how ti make them. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I mean, WOW! I hope you have someplace safe to store this. What a great way to celebrate year after year. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome wreath!! It's worth every minute of time you spent making those medallions!! Great job Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome, the wreath is so cool, I am so glad you explained how to make it, I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Great job on your wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely and so beautiful! Thanks for playing with us @ this week
    H2H challenge.
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete